Onboarding Checklist – Hiring Manager
Please utilize the checklist to prepare for your new staff member’s arrival and ensure a positive onboarding experience during their first crucial days on the job.
Within 3 days of new staff member’s hire
- Complete Onboarding Service Request Form to notify IT that a new employee has been hired and request service/support.
Prior to Start Date
- Request building access and keys from local building access/key card manager.
- Submit requests to schedule a portrait session and update the website directory.
- Confirm whether a background check is needed.
- Identify and prepare workspace.
- Evaluate and clean workspace.
- Stock workspace with applicable office supplies.
- Ensure reference materials are available.
- Consider setting out a welcome card, plant, College of Engineering polo, etc.
- Identify staff member(s) with similar responsibilities to coach new staff member on specific work-related processes and procedures.
- Prepare itinerary for the new staff member’s first week.
- Call/send an email to new staff member about their first day, which may include the following:
- Onboarding Checklist – New Staff Member
- Parking details and directions to their office
- Itinerary for first day/week
Greet new staff member.
- Introduce new staff member to colleagues.
- Provide tour of workspace, floor and/or building (as applicable).
- Issue keys.
Review and discuss the following:
- Job description and expectations (New staff member must sign.)
- First week itinerary
- Campus-wide orientations and trainings for new employees
- College of Engineering Intranet
- College/department vision, mission and/or strategic goals and relationship with new job
- Dress code
- Work hours and attendance policy and related expectations
Support new staff member to set up the following:
- Create Login ID, email and passphrase (once Employee ID number is secured).
- Outlook (share calendar, add signature/photo, etc.)
- Direct deposit with Payroll
Meet with team to determine who will add new staff member to relevant communication tools and technologies, such as:
- Email distribution lists
- Box folders
- Organization chart
- Website directory
- Slack channels
Meet with new staff member to confirm they have completed and/or review the following:
- Get Employee ID (AggieCard).
- Activate and set up voice mail (VoIP).
- View and edit the online directory listing.
- Review Time Reporting System (TRS) timesheet instructions and guidelines.
- Order business cards and name badge.
- Sign up for an in-person or virtual campus tour.
Within the First 30 Days
- Meet weekly with new staff member to complete orientation on work-related tasks and ask/answer questions.
- Connect new staff member with their Staff Networking Group and ask them to attend monthly meeting.
- Discuss/identify training and development activities for new staff member to participate in.
- Review Emergency Action Plan (EAP)/safety plan.
Second to Sixth Month
- Provide monthly feedback to the new staff member about job performance.
- Formally evaluate performance to determine completion of probationary period.
- Celebrate completion of probationary period!
- Set goals for next six months.