Onboarding Checklist – Hiring Manager
Please utilize the checklist to prepare for your new staff member’s arrival and ensure a positive onboarding experience during their first crucial days on the job.
Within 3 days of new staff member’s hire
- Complete Onboarding Service Request Form to notify the IT and Communications teams that a new employee has been hired and request service/support.
Prior to Start Date
- Request building access and keys from local building access/key card manager.
- Submit requests to schedule a portrait session and update the website directory.
- Identify and prepare workspace.
- Evaluate and clean workspace.
- Stock workspace with applicable office supplies.
- Ensure reference materials are available.
- Consider setting out a welcome card, plant, College of Engineering polo, etc.
- Identify staff member(s) with similar responsibilities to coach new staff member on specific work-related processes and procedures.
- Prepare itinerary for the new staff member’s first week.
- Call/send an email to new staff member about their first day, which may include the following:
- Onboarding Checklist – New Staff Member
- Parking details and directions to their office
- Itinerary for first day/week
Greet new staff member.
- Introduce new staff member to colleagues.
- Provide tour of workspace, floor and/or building (as applicable).
- Issue keys.
Review and discuss the following:
- Job description and expectations (New staff member must sign.)
- First week itinerary
- Campus-wide orientations and trainings for new employees
- College of Engineering Intranet
- College/department vision, mission and/or strategic goals and relationship with new job
- Dress code
- Work hours and attendance policy and related expectations
Support new staff member to set up the following:
- Create Login ID, email and passphrase (once Employee ID number is secured).
- Outlook (share calendar, add signature/photo, etc.)
- Direct deposit with Payroll
Meet with team to determine who will add new staff member to relevant communication tools and technologies, such as:
- Email distribution lists
- Box folders
- Organization chart
- Website directory
- Slack channels
Meet with new staff member to confirm they have completed and/or review the following:
- Get Employee ID (AggieCard).
- Activate and set up voice mail (VoIP).
- View and edit the online directory listing.
- Review Time Reporting System (TRS) timesheet instructions and guidelines.
- Order business cards and name badge.
- Sign up for an in-person or virtual campus tour.
Within the First 30 Days
- Meet weekly with new staff member to complete orientation on work-related tasks and ask/answer questions.
- Connect new staff member with their Staff Networking Group and ask them to attend monthly meeting.
- Discuss/identify training and development activities for new staff member to participate in.
- Complete the college's Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) and Emergency Action Plan (EAP) online training in the Learning Center. Review the college's Safety webpage for more resources.
Second to Sixth Month
- Provide monthly feedback to the new staff member about job performance.
- Formally evaluate performance to determine completion of probationary period.
- Celebrate completion of probationary period!
- Set goals for next six months.