Welcome Message from Interim Dean Jeffery C. Gibeling
We are delighted you have decided to join us in our mission to inspire a diverse and talented engineering community of students, faculty and staff.
As staff members in the college, we support 225 faculty, 1,195 graduate students and 4,647 undergraduate students in their pursuit of innovative technology and educational excellence. We work in the dean’s office, within eight departments and in dozens of centers and institutes around campus. We work together within our units and across the campus to move the university forward with confidence and optimism.
As you settle into your new role, ask your manager, teammates and other colleagues about how you can get involved in activities around the college.
We look forward to working with you. Go Ags!
Before You Begin
- Discuss your needs related to computer setup and access with your supervisor, so they can relay appropriately to the college IT team.
- If you are working on campus, confirm your commute. Transportation Services (TAPS) is your go-to for parking permits, motorist assistance, bicycle registration and roadway construction updates.
- Explore the UC Davis Campus Map, specifically those spaces heavily populated by College of Engineering staff: Academic Surge Building, Bainer Hall, Genome & Biomedical Sciences Facility, Ghausi Hall and Kemper Hall.
- Check out UC Davis Front Door, which features campus-wide resources for new hires.
From your specific job responsibilities to meeting your team to learning the organization's culture, there is always lots to learn when you start a new position. Here are a few strategies and to-dos to hit the ground running:
- Once you have your Employee ID number, make your way to the Computing Accounts portal to create your account and secure a Login ID. Click on Get Your UC Davis Computing Account to get started. Note: systems update overnight, so you won't be able to do much right away.
- Get to know fellow staff members on your team and throughout the College of Engineering. Refer to the college or department directories for organizational charts and position details.
- Set up your email signature.
- Meet with your supervisor to discuss ordering business cards.
- Contact the Marketing and Communications team with your preferred style and size to secure a College of Engineering polo.
First Three Months
- Within the first 31 days of employment, attend a Benefits Orientation.
- Attend the New Employee Orientation, an eCourse to learn about UC Davis history, culture, mission, Principles of Community and more.
- Attend a New Employee Welcome (NEW) Virtual for a more "in-person" orientation experience.
- Get involved in the College of Engineering community! Attend a Staff Town Hall and reach out to colleagues you would like to get to know and plan to work with.