College of Engineering Instructional Resilience Guide
Updated 04/02/2020 at 4:07 pm
Campus/College of Engineering Resources
- Campus Zoom – The Campus Zoom instance – Learn more
- How to record lectures and add videos to course Canvas site – Presentation by Tonya Kuhl
- Zoom 101 Training by COE IT
- Office Hours and Lectures Zoom Protocol – Courtesy of Walter Leal, MCB
- Zoom Knowledge Base Articles – new articles added every week
- Cisco Jabber– Using your campus phone number remotely
- Virtual Instructional Labs (VDI) – College of Engineering virtual lab environment
- Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) – Accessing your campus Windows desktop computer from home
- College of Engineering VPN – Accessing the College of Engineering VPN – This makes your remote computer appear as if it were directly connected to the campus network, as some resources may only be accessed from campus.
- Slack – Online chat and collaboration tool in the cloud – Learn more
- Slack channels for Faculty:
- Faculty will be added to a few channels – you can leave channels that are not of interest to you
- You can join additional channels, by clicking on the word “channels” not the + sign. This action will take you to a list of current channels that you can join
- We have channels on Zoom, Gradescope, labs, online teaching transition, etc.
- If a channel does not exist that you would like, click the “+ “sign to create a new channel
- If you have a question, either use @channel or @[name of person], so that they receive a notification and can answer the question
- Slack channels can also be made for students so they can communicate with each other – include a couple faculty/advisors to be able to answer their questions.
- Slack channels for Faculty:
- Box – Cloud file storage and sharing – Learn more
- Camtasia – Recording Lectures – Courtesy of Walter Leal, MCB
- keepteaching.ucdavis.edu IET-maintained instructional resilience resource site
Contains information and resources on communication, lecture capture, Canvas, Zoom, online webinars, online proctoring / Examity, Gradescope, Qualtrics, online equity & inclusion
- Google is granting free advanced Hangouts Meet video-conferencing to all G Suite for Education accounts. This includes meetings up to 250 participants, live streaming up to 100,000 viewers within a domain, and the ability to record and add meetings to Google Drive. Learn more
- Note: Campus support for Google Hangouts Meet is very limited.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education – Providing free information on moving education online during the current situation.
- The Hope Center | For College, Community and Justice has resources and guides on how to support students including the following:
Communication with Students
- Statement to Include in Online Assessment
- See what other departments are doing to keep teaching here.
- Reach out to students before the quarter starts, so all students know what to expect. Here is a template, that can be modified and sent to your all students.
- Departments can reach out to all students explaining/detailing the situation and what to expect. Here is an overview template and a more detailed template, kindly provided by CEE.
- The Library is able to support international students with their VPN service. Send students this link for more information: https://www.library.ucdavis.edu/service/connect-from-off-campus/
College of Engineering Zoom Rooms
- Zoom Rooms are a meeting or lecture facility with audio visual equipment integrated with Zoom. If you prefer to use a campus room to record or present live, the following rooms may be available. Information technology staff can meet you onsite to assist with setup. Email email@example.com or call (530) 784-4876.
- Academic Surge 2022 – overhead projector, room facing camera, speakers and microphone – Reserve in COWS.
- Bainer 1062 & 1070 – overhead projector, two presenter facing cameras, speakers and microphone – Reserve by contacting Brigitta Schumacher-Bradley / DLP.
- Bainer 2130 – overhead projector, room facing camera, speakers and microphone – Request in COWS, approved by MAE.
- Kemper 1003 – overhead projector, room facing camera, presenter facing camera, and speakers (dial in with conference phone for microphone) – Reserve in COWS.
- Kemper 1007 – television display, speakers and room facing camera with integrated microphone – Reserve in COWS.
- Mobile Zoom Room – DTEN 55″ television display with room facing camera and integrated microphones – Request from firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 784-4876.